Monday, January 19, 2009

the incredible disappearing woman.

Sometime around 2007 I got into cycling for about 5 whole minutes. During that phase, J gave me a couple of Lance Armstrong's books, which I was surprised to discover, I actually enjoyed.

Reading the chapter about his marriage collapsing, I remember feeling so sad for his wife, even though he spoke fondly about her. She had been all over the world for him, away from her career and family, at the same time through two agonizing rounds of Invitro so that they could have a family. Then divorcing with three very young children to a man who obviously loved the ladies... lady rock stars and celebrities at that, not librarian type ladies.

Sometime last year I came across Kristin Armstrongs article (below), and I was so pleased that I did. I was happy to hear her perspective on the situation, and above that, so glad to walk away with so much perspective for myself. That's why I wanted to share it. I think the article offers a lot for women, single, in a relationship or married. Please don't get me wrong- I am a fan of marriage, in fact, I hope to do it someday. But damn, it sure is hard as hell, and before you realize it- you can sure lose yourself in the partnership.

Circumstances in life often take us places that we never intended to go. We visit some places of beauty and others that you never care to see again. I never imagined that "divorce" would be part of my life history or my family’s legacy. I never really got it, but now, when people say that divorce can be as painful than death, I understand why.

Kristin Armstrong on Marriage

No comments: